Thursday, February 10, 2011

Be Diligent, That thou Mayest be a Wise Steward

Be diligent . . . that thou mayest be a wise steward
D&C 136:27

The beginning of a new year is a time to start over, a time to set new goals and re-evaluate some old ones. Most of us still have some resolutions on our minds. Maybe you’ve even stuck to a few of them so far. If so, great!

As I was thinking about what I needed to rededicate myself to this year, scripture study was on the top of my list. While serving in the primary the past couple of years I’ve found that I have become less and less diligent in reading the lesson materials for Sunday school. I eventually found myself wondering, “What are we even studying this year, anyway?” That was my wakeup call.

I decided that even though I don’t attend the adult classes on Sunday, I was missing out if I didn’t follow along with the lesson material. I didn’t realize how much I needed that extra nourishment from the Spirit! It has helped me add structure to my personal scripture study, and been a stimulating addition to my usual primary material.

If you haven’t done so already, it’s not too late to make it a goal to keep up with the Sunday school & Priesthood/RS lesson materials. If you are able to attend class, read the lesson ahead of time so you can participate in the discussions. Be diligent in learning the doctrines of the church. Re-dedicate yourself to home and visiting teaching. Now is a great time to start if you’ve never done it. The monthly messages in the Ensign contain still more modern day revelation for us to feast upon.

The Sunday School and Priesthood/RS classes are there to help us all learn, line upon line, and precept upon precept. As we dedicate a portion of our time to studying the teachings of the Lord, he will bless us with the knowledge that we need to be wise stewards in our lives and homes.

No comments: